Using Philosophy to understand
the limits of the empirical sciences
Articles and publications of Dennis Bonnette, PhD.
According to a Pew Research Center Survey, the number of American atheists has roughly doubled in the period from 2007 to 2014. Impacting this demographic change has been the influence of naturalistic explanations that explain the world without reference to any transcendent deities or supernatural powers. Such changes were abetted by the progressive secularization of American culture and education following the 1962 Supreme Court decision that removed prayer from the public schools.
While atheistic materialism found its philosophical roots in the positivism of the 19th and early 20th centuries, today that it nearly dominates the public arena in the form of leading scientists who proclaim that natural science can offer all the rational explanations of the universe, including its very existence. The so-called “new atheists,” such as Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens and Daniel Dennett, have done much to blunt religion’s traditional social influence by attacking it as superstitious irrationalism. Whatever cannot be empirically verified, such as God, free will, or the human spiritual soul, is rejected by atheists as unscientific nonsense.
- HELL AND GOD’S GOODNESSAlthough this article will address the content of certain theological doctrines, it is written from a purely philosophical perspective. This is the same method used consistently in my book, Origin of the Human Species – third edition,i in which I examine […]
- WHEN SCIENCE OVERTHREW PHILOSOPHYAccording to a Pew Research Center Survey, the number of American atheists has roughly doubled in the period from 2007 to 2014. Impacting this demographic change has been the influence of naturalistic explanations that explain the world without reference […]
- WHY HUMANS ARE MORE THAN MERE ANIMALSEver since the time of Charles Darwin’s thunderous appearance on the human stage, evolutionary materialists have envisioned a world in which man appears without any rational need either for the God of classical theism or for a spiritual and immortal […]
- ABORTION ETHICS: NATURAL LAW VS. NATURALISMThis article will examine (1) natural law’s and (2) naturalism’s opposing views on abortion. Their diverse philosophies determine radically divergent abortion ethics, which will be examined solely through natural reasoning. PERTINENT THOMISTIC DOCTRINES […]
- WHY NATURAL LAW ETHICS IS RATIONALThis article will lay out the rational foundations of natural law ethics as well as show how they lead to implications for the philosophical science of ethics. Everyone thinks he is an expert in ethics – or, so it seems. Just ask anyone’s opinion about […]